Happy Summer! I have a post that has been long in the making and I’m super excited to share it with you! These are the Turia Dungarees and I’m in love with them!
I bought the Turia Dungarees pattern exactly three years ago, and then did absolutely nothing with it for over two years. Well, I bought the fabric for these overalls about a year ago, and again did nothing with it (this time for months!). I don’t know why I do that, but here we are!
Finally, when I started sewing I was so excited. I had done a lot of research to figure out exactly what I wanted my overalls to look like, and what changes I’d need to make to the pattern. As the pattern is written, the legs on the overalls aren’t very fitted. And the overalls open and close with a side zipper. I had been looking at RTW overalls and really liked the look of these three pairs, skinny legs, large bib pocket, light wash.
The first thing I did was make a long list of changes to the pattern! I knew with the stretch of the denim, I could get away without any side opening. So these overalls just (snugly, with a little bit of wiggling) slide on and off (no side buttons or zipper). I also grabbed a pair of my RTW jeans that were slim, but not super skinny, and traced them for the shape of the legs.
Next, I decided to lower the waist of the jeans by 2.5 inches, so I could add a waistband. The original pattern has the pants lead straight into the front bib, without a waistband in between. I also added beltloops. Both of these pattern pieces I grabbed from the ginger jeans pattern. Last modification in the waist area was to add a faux fly (again this template came from the ginger jeans pattern).
When I was looking at RTW overalls, I noticed the bib pocket usually is pretty big. I just made up my own pocket piece, wanting it to cover almost the entire front bib! I also used traditional overall buckles. These were a vintage pair I found on etsy!
The last couple changes I made were to the back of the overalls. I made some very similar changes that Sasha made to the back of her Turia Dungarees, to help the back of the bib sit closer to my body! The back pockets that come with the Turia pattern are pretty small, so I used the pocket pattern piece from the ginger jeans.
Phew, I think that was it on the pattern modifications! Once I sewed these up, I realized they were way too pristine looking for overalls, so I started distressing. I used sandpaper and razors to add distressing along seam lines, on pockets, and at my knees! But then I realized I really wanted my overalls to be lighter. I did one bleach bath, constantly stirring the jeans. I was so nervous that I would leave them in too long and hate the light color! But, once I washed them. they still were not light enough. I did a second bleach bath, again stirring constantly! I was less nervous this time, a little more confident that they would come out great and it worked! I couldn’t tell you how long or what bleach to water ratio I used, I completely just winged it! After all the bleach, I did a tea bath overnight. I absolutely love the results!
These Turia Dungarees were a lot of work, but it was all so much fun! I would absolutely make them again!
Here’s a quick breakdown of the details!
Pattern: Turia Dungarees
Fabric: Stretch Denim from Indiesew (sold out)
Changes: there are way too many to list here! Read above to see all the changes!
Modifications I’d Make Next Time: I’d change the crotch curve a bit, maybe compare it to the ginger jeans pattern to get a better fit. Other than that, I’d keep all the changes already made!