Christine Haynes Derby Dress

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

Ooh I’m excited to share this dress with you today!  It might be my new favorite!  This is the Derby dress by Christine Haynes.  I grabbed the pattern from the Indie Sew shop shortly after I sewed Christine’s Marianne dress.  That one fit me so well, and the pattern and instructions for the Marianne were perfect, I was excited to sew another one of Christine’s patterns.

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

The Derby dress was not nearly as easy a sew, not because of the directions or the pattern itself, I just had to make a handful of modifications for it to fit me well.  I knew right away that I wanted to sew it as a maxi dress.  I had seen Oona’s maxi version and loved it!  The pattern doesn’t have pieces for a maxi version, I just lengthened each piece, extending them so that they would come down to my ankles.

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

My measurements put me in between a size 4 and 6, so I cut the pattern in between those two sizes.  I sewed the dress up, tried it on, and had a funny underarm gaping issue.  You could peer right into my dress, so I grabbed the seam ripper and started to take apart the top half.  It’s hard to see in this busy print, but this is a princess seamed dress.  The princess seams were not running right along my bust, so I needed to take out 1.5 inches from the center pattern piece on either side.  I also took in the side seams by .5 inches.

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

These fixes worked and corrected all of my gaping issues.  The fabric I used is a super lightweight rayon challis I grabbed from the imagine gnats shop.  This fabric is perfect for our really hot Florida summers.

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

The first day I wore this dress was to Disney for about 6 hours!  By the end of the day, the fabric had stretched out a bit (I’m not sure if it was due to the humidity or the weight of this dress, there’s a lot of fabric here)!  So I went back and added a piece of elastic across the top of the back to help give the dress some support.

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

I used a piece of 1.5 inch elastic, measured across the back from side seam to side seam, and cut my elastic 2 inches shorter than the back measurement.  I then pinned the elastic in place, stretching it out to make it fit. Once the elastic was pinned (I used about 1 pin every inch across the back) I sewed several rows of straight stitches, stretching the elastic as I sewed!  The elastic fixed everything, making this a super comfortable dress!

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

Silhouettes can be a fun thing to play with.  When I am standing still, without a breeze, this dress looks a little tent like (which is probably why I like it, it’s so comfortable).  But the rayon challis has so much movement, that as soon as I walk a little, or as soon as the wind blows, the dress looks so flattering!

Christine Haynes Derby Dress :: Dandelion Drift

Okay…here’s a quick run down of the sewing info:

Pattern:  Christine Haynes Derby Dress

Fabric:  Rayon Challis from the imagine gnats shop

Size / Modifications: In between size 4 and 6 and many modifications –

  • remove 1.5 inches from both sides of front seam
  • remove .5 inch from side seams
  • add 1.5 inch elastic to back for support
  • lengthened pattern to maxi dress

The Derby Dress pattern was provided to me by Indie Sew as a part of their blogger team.  As always, all opinions are my honest and true opinions!  

  • Pingback: Wednesday Weekly #8 | Helen's ClosetHelen's Closet()

  • This turned out fabulously!! That fabric!! Well done on the modifications cause it fits you perfectly.

  • i think i was maybe the second person to see your post (on my tiny phone), i immediately drooled (on my tiny phone), and then could not comment (on my tiny phone). i LOVE it! now i need to make another, who cares if winter is coming!