Carolyn Pajamas

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

I made it through to round four of the Super Online Sewing Match and this round’s sewing pattern has been on my sewing radar for a while!  We were give the Carolyn Pajamas pattern by Heather of Closet Case Files.  These are super fancy looking pajamas, quite an upgrade from the old shorts from my college days that I have in my pajama drawer.

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

Since I was sewing super fancy pajamas, I wanted to sew them in luxurious fabric.  Silk first came to mind, but was definitely out of my price range.  The next best thing was rayon.  It has great drape, is lightweight and breathable.  I had three yards of this rayon fabric from the Imagine Gnats shop sitting in my pile of fabrics, which was just the right amount for this pattern.

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

Since I live in Florida, and it has been so hot recently, I couldn’t think of sewing anything other than shorts and a short sleeved shirt for my pajamas.  Heather’s pattern does come with a pants and long sleeve shirt option (which I’m sure I’ll sew in the future)!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

The pattern pieced together smoothly!  I sewed a size 6 for the top and an 8 for the bottoms (that’s where my hip and chest measurements placed me).  I was nervous to sew all of the piping with this pattern, but I dug through my sewing machine feet attachments and found my piping foot to use, which was really helpful.  These Carolyn Pajamas used two entire packages of piping (more than I’ve used in any other project)!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

I left off the breast pocket for a few reasons.  I sewed it on the top (with piping in between the upper and lower pocket pieces), and when I tried on the top, I thought it was too low.  I seam ripped the pocket, and then when I moved it up, I didn’t like that it was like a white runway sign going right across my chest.  I decided that maybe it was the high contrast of the blue fabric and the white piping causing the chest pocket to not add anything to the top!  So it stayed off, unsewn and in the trash!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

I made a couple additions to the bottoms.  I love how Kelli of True Bias finishes the waistband in her Hudson Pant pattern (with topstitching on the elastic waistband), so I added that feature to my pants.  I also added little bar tacks at the bottom of each pocket (on the side seams), you know, just in case I’m carrying anything heavy in these pajama pockets!  These pajama bottoms are truly the most comfortable pajamas I have ever worn!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

I’m particularly proud of my buttons on this top.  The last time I sewed buttons on rayon, I didn’t get the correct amount of interfacing to use and the buttonholes puckered.  These buttonholes came out perfectly.  I practiced a bit on some scrap fabric first to make sure I had the right amount of interfacing underneath the buttonholes!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

Here’s a peek at the insides.  I used french seams everywhere in this pattern.  Yep, even the shoulder / arm seam and the faux fly!  I hand stitched all of the hems (the shirt, sleeves, and shorts) and hand stitched the facing at the shoulders.

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift

These pajamas are definitely the nicest pajamas in my dresser!  And the fit is perfect!  There are definitely more Carolyn Pajamas in my future (especially the bottoms)!

Carolyn Pajamas :: Dandelion Drift