Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

While the blog has been quiet over the past couple weeks, I have been busy sewing!  I first want to show you my Scout Tee!  I purchased this pattern when Jen was having a black Friday deal.  Every single Scout I have seen I have absolutely loved, so I knew this pattern would be a great one to add to my stash!

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

My shirt was largely inspired by two Scouts I’ve seen, probably my favorites!  First, I love Sally‘s color blocked Scout!  So that’s where my Scout plan started.  And then, I have loved every single lace Scout that Kelly has sewn .  So I looked through my stash for two fabrics to mix together to make my lace color blocked Scout Tee.

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

The green cotton is from a skirt that I sewed way back when I started this blog.  That circle skirt was great, but I wasn’t thrilled with the waistband.  It was cut straight (not curved) so I never thought it sat on my waist just right.  So a new life was destined for it, and I can tell you that I love it so much more as a shirt.

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

The lace was actually from a thrifted curtain.  That made me incredibly nervous at first.  Would I look like I was walking around with my grandma’s curtains?  The first time I wore this though, two teenagers told me that they liked my shirt.  Phew, that was all the reassurance I needed that it was okay to wear old curtains!  Actually, if Julie Andrews did it, it has to be okay, right?

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

I’ve worn this shirt a few times already and I LOVE it!  I see many more scouts in my future! So, want to know the details of the sewing?  Sewing with lace is actually not scary at all.  In fact, I would put it at much easier than slippery chiffon, easier than knit, and just a little trickier than sewing with a woven.  It has a little stretch to it, which is the only thing that complicates it at all.

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

I french seamed all of my seams, including the arm holes.  I didn’t know how that would turn out, but it is actually great.  I followed Jen’s tutorial, and I loved it so much I’m trying it again on another shirt I am in the middle of sewing!  I only modified the pattern by color blocking the top, and adding a dropped curve hem in the back.

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

Happy 2014 (kind of crazy and exciting that it is already the new year)!

Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

32 thoughts on “Lace Color Blocked Scout Tee

1. Shino

Love this Scout! Beautiful. I have Scout Tee pattern and love it. This is really great pattern and has much option to customize.. I have to make some more!

1. Teresa Post author

I can’t wait to see your Scouts! I can’t believe I held off for so long to buy the pattern! I can see many more Scouts in my future!

1. Teresa Post author

You are making me blush Anna….thanks! I just bought some fabric that would be perfect for my second round at the Scout!

1. Teresa Post author

I can’t wait to see when you make a Scout! Seriously, I don’t think there is a bad version out there…it’s a great pattern!

2. Monica

Oooh, I really like the lace/woven combo. I have got to nail down some patterns to just sit down and make already! Great inspiration going on here…!

3. Amy Mayen

I’ve never even seen the scout tee! How am I so out of the loop?! Your top is gorgeous, and teenagers liking it means it really is a cute as we (old people) think. Fabulous!!

1. Teresa Post author

I am almost always out of the loop, you’re making me feel kind of cool for being in the loop….ha!

4. Kelly

You look so pretty! I love this Scout, I have lace for 2 more of these but now I am considering color blocking…very nicely done :) Happy New Year to you and your family!!

1. Teresa Post author

Thanks Kelly! I can’t wait to see what you make next! I’m always a little envious of the lace you find, they are amazing!

5. Sally

Hey! When I saw this amazing lace colorbloacked tee over in the flickr group, I thought it looked a little familiar ;) I absolutely love that you used lace and that green color is just perfect! I may have to copy this shirt straight out! :) Also, how have I never seen your blog – you make some amazing, modern clothes that I would love to have in my closet! Definitely following now!

1. Teresa Post author

Thanks Stephanie! I think this is the first green, green shirt I own and I am loving the color! I need to look for more fabric in this color!

1. Teresa Post author

Thanks Stacia! I’m so glad I tried working with lace….definitely going to have to do it again!

1. Teresa Post author

Thanks Tracy! I was worried about figuring out where to split the pattern! And I was glad when it worked out!

6. Ren

I love this! Saw it on the group Pinterest board, You Sew, You Flew. And I never would have known you pulled a Sound of Music with the curtain if you hadn’t said so. It’s great.

7. Audrey

This kind of top would be perfect for Challenge Create: Adult Edition week 2! Did you see the themes? Why don’t you plan on sewing along, we’d love to have you!

8. Pingback: Grainline Studio Patterns Giveaway

9. domain

Normally I don’t learn post on blogs, but I
    would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it!

Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.