Cargo Duffle Bag

free duffle bag patternEvery year for the holidays, we generally travel to visit family.  This year is a little different though…my husband just started a new job a couple weeks ago, so we are not going to travel much, but I was itching for a new overnight bag.  We will be traveling to visit my parents for just one night next week, which gave me just the excuse I needed to sew myself an overnight bag.  I knew the perfect bag to sew….Anna’s new cargo duffle bag!

free duffle bag patternA few weeks ago, Anna released a new, free pattern for her cargo duffle bag on the Robert Kaufman website.  Yup….free!  And this pattern is superb!free duffle bag patternI challenged myself to use just the fabrics that I had stashed away in my sewing room.  That meant I had to tweak the pattern a bit to accommodate my random pieces of fabric.  The bottom of the bag is a great caramel colored leather like (sounds so much better than pleather) fabric I thrifted a while back for 25 cents.  I didn’t have enough of this fabric to follow Anna’s directions to a T, so I fudged around a little bit, adding a little more denim to the sides.  free duffle bag pattern

free duffle bag patternThe front pockets are a super old piece of Amy Butler fabric from way back when!  I love this simple print so much.  And these pockets are perfect!  They have great pleats on either side, you know, so that I can cram lots of tiny items in there!free duffle bag patternThe rest of the fabric is a denim I’ve had in my stash for a long time also!  Gotta love a good stash busting project.  The only item I did buy for this project was the zipper.  Ooh I love this long metal zipper.  free duffle bag patternI can’t let you go without giving you a peek inside the bag.  All the seams are finished off with bias tape, leaving the inside just as pretty as the outside.  And I love to see all of those quilted lines in there!free duffle bag patternMy new duffle bag is going to be perfect for my quick holiday travel!  And with that….let the holiday sewing begin!  In my house, it’s mostly selfish sewing.  I might sneak in a project or two for a loved one!free duffle bag patternUPDATE:  I did not realize it at the time, but I cut the pattern a bit taller than what Anna calls for.  The top front and back pieces were cut at 14 inches instead of 11.5 inches like the pattern calls for!  I love how it turned out, but I might have to go back and try the bag again…following the directions next time :)

18 comments

1. Rachel says:

What a great bag. Love the fabric combo. I’ve been thinking about a “diaper bag” more like a toddlers still need lots of stuff after diapers bag. I don’t usually sew bags, but I’m considering…

2. Jenya says:

What a great bag! Well done :) I might have to look at it for a bag for LM’s clothes for when we go away. We usually pack one big suitcase for the three of us and after only a couple of days her little bits and pieces get mixed up with our big stuff, and fishing things out just gets frustrating.

• Teresa says:

I remember when we used to pack the kiddos stuff in our bags…now they each take up a bag of their own! And their bags are a whole lot nicer than what we usually travel with! I’m excited to put this one to use!

3. Renee says:

This is so so nice! I love the colors and matching of fabric you did, especially the caramel bottom. And I didn’t realize it was a free pattern – gotta add it to the list

4. Gina Wamsley says:

Like you, I love a good bag! This bag looks awesome! Love all the fabric you pulled from your stash. :) I’ll have to check out the free pattern too!! You look so cute in these pics. I totally can feel the..”look at the bag I made…isn’t it so cute??!!” Been there! :) I’m in the middle of make a few purses right now and can’t wait to finish. I have not finished a bag in a while and it’s killing me! This is the first time I’m actually using a paper pattern for a bag. Enjoy your selfish sewing and Happy Thanksgiving! I’m a new follower!

5. Ali says:

I love that you made the bag taller than the original pattern called for – looks like a perfect weekender size! Did you just change the front/back measurement from 11.5 x 19 to something more like 14.5 x 19 ? Did any other measurements need to change? Thanks!

• Teresa says:

Thanks Ali…I didn’t even realize it was taller…I’ve updated the post with the actual measurements I used to cut. Maybe I’ll get better at following a pattern :)

• Teresa says:

Thanks Jacey! I’m always floored at thrift store prices…it makes it kind of painful to shop in a real store and pay real prices!