Every year for the holidays, we generally travel to visit family. This year is a little different though…my husband just started a new job a couple weeks ago, so we are not going to travel much, but I was itching for a new overnight bag. We will be traveling to visit my parents for just one night next week, which gave me just the excuse I needed to sew myself an overnight bag. I knew the perfect bag to sew….Anna’s new cargo duffle bag!
A few weeks ago, Anna released a new, free pattern for her cargo duffle bag on the Robert Kaufman website. Yup….free! And this pattern is superb! I challenged myself to use just the fabrics that I had stashed away in my sewing room. That meant I had to tweak the pattern a bit to accommodate my random pieces of fabric. The bottom of the bag is a great caramel colored leather like (sounds so much better than pleather) fabric I thrifted a while back for 25 cents. I didn’t have enough of this fabric to follow Anna’s directions to a T, so I fudged around a little bit, adding a little more denim to the sides.
The front pockets are a super old piece of Amy Butler fabric from way back when! I love this simple print so much. And these pockets are perfect! They have great pleats on either side, you know, so that I can cram lots of tiny items in there! The rest of the fabric is a denim I’ve had in my stash for a long time also! Gotta love a good stash busting project. The only item I did buy for this project was the zipper. Ooh I love this long metal zipper. I can’t let you go without giving you a peek inside the bag. All the seams are finished off with bias tape, leaving the inside just as pretty as the outside. And I love to see all of those quilted lines in there! My new duffle bag is going to be perfect for my quick holiday travel! And with that….let the holiday sewing begin! In my house, it’s mostly selfish sewing. I might sneak in a project or two for a loved one! UPDATE: I did not realize it at the time, but I cut the pattern a bit taller than what Anna calls for. The top front and back pieces were cut at 14 inches instead of 11.5 inches like the pattern calls for! I love how it turned out, but I might have to go back and try the bag again…following the directions next time 🙂