Striped Peplum

If you knew me in real life, you would know that I am competitive, and not just a little competitive, really competitive.  I think it started with growing up doing sports.  I was a swimmer, always.  From about the age of 8 until I went off to college when I was 18.Striped PeplumThat competitiveness has seeped its way into about every aspect of my life now.  I’m obviously competitive in the sports I still do, but it also shows up in funny areas of my life like cooking and house keeping.  DIY PeplumWell, back to rising up to a challenge.  I saw on Project Sewn there was a challenge with the Coffee Date Dress pattern, so my competitive side of me kicked in, and said, “let’s do this competition thing”.  I sewed up the bodice and then wasn’t sure if I should make a dress or a peplum.  I asked Josh’s oppinion and he voted peplum, so ta-da, peplum it is!PeplumThe last peplum I made, I haven’t worn at all.  So this time I wanted to make sure I did it right.  This striped peplum is made out of a very slinky rayon knit that I had ordered from fabric.com.  I love the feel of this fabric, it is so light and soft.  I was very careful about matching up the stripes, on the sides and at the darts.  And I love the final product.  I think it’s a combination of the fabric and the pattern that have helped me love this peplum!Blue and White PeplumSo I’m curious…am I the only competitive person out there?  Do you find that your competitive side helps you or hinders you?  (That is definitely a yes to both for me!)Knit Peplum

22 comments

• Teresa says:

Thanks…my competitiveness has been helpful with lots so stuff. But it also hinders me, like when I think I’m not going to do well, then there are times I just won’t try!

1. Renee says:

I hope you sew along to Project Sewn again when it starts – I loved seeing your looks. And this top is great! good job matching the stripes everywhere.

And competitive? yeah – I mostly stress out that someone is going to sew up an idea I have in my head before I have time to make it.

2. Jenya says:

Love the top! Look how the stripes match – perfect :) As for being competitive… I am more of a “I am in it for fun” person. But every now and then I do feel rather competitive :)

3. Shannon says:

I love the peplum- I made my coffee date dress one too- great minds think alike, right :) I love the stripes you used and great job lining them up- looks cute!

4. Justine says:

I didn’t even realize I was competitive until I got into blogging and started going in contests. Also blogging itself is quite competitive because we are always trying to get more page views, etc. I love your top. And love that you left that ruffle off. I was tempted to try the dress but thought it was a bit too frou frou for me.

• Teresa says:

Justine…I completely agree. I try to put my competitive side of me on the back burner with blogging so that I actually enjoy blogging instead of comparing myself to everyone else and their blogs! By the way, I love the shirt you just sewed for your husband!

5. Heather Feather says:

It’s a gorgeous peplum! I’m impressed you made that from the coffee date dress pattern.
    I used to be a competitive person when I was younger, but I hated how mean I got. I have let all the competitiveness go, so I’m not that fun to compete with. I bet I’d get competitive in a sewing competition though if I let myself compete!