Guess what, guess what? I finished my washi dress! I sewed this one up months ago, decided I needed to change the sleeves and remove the collar, and here it is! (You can see a few progress photos here and here.)
The washi dress is a pattern that I know a million people have sewn before. It has so many great features with the fitted bodice, shirred back, and large in seam pockets. I’m slow to jump on the bandwagon, but it truly fits really well. The bodice fits like a glove and it’s super comfortable!
I used a target sheet for this dress. I was shopping around for fabric for this dress before Christmas, and started to feel guilty at the thought of spending $40 or more on the fabric to make something for myself. So I looked at the target sheet section and found a set for $16 that I liked. Turns out to be a good thing, because I ended up using the leftover fabric for Sweet Pea’s quilt (and she now has a matching pillow case….woot!).
I made just a few changes to the pattern. I wanted french seams throughout…that was a simple change. And I also wanted the bust darts to not have a raw seam, so I added fabric there to help keep everything nice and tidy inside.
I have a fancy computerized sewing machine, and it definitely isn’t the best at shirring. The shirring does the job, but next time I want to try sewing with elastic thread on Sweet Pea’s sewing machine to see if it handles the thread better!
All and all I love my new dress!